melting furnace / pit / gas / for metallurgy
for metallurgy, large-size
Process iron ore fines efficiently with Outotec's flexible AusIron smelting reduction process for ironmaking, a unique solution developed from Outotec’s Ausmelt Top Submerged Lance (TSL) technology. The Outotec AusIron process is capable of producing hot metal from a variety of iron-bearing materials while using locally available coal in a single reactor.
- Allows iron ore fines to be processed without the need for agglomeration processes such as pelletizing or sintering
- Offers high flexibility for iron feedstocks and coal grades
- Uses heat recovered from the furnace and off-gas to produce steam for electric power generation (with approximately 60 MW surplus available for export), making it almost independent from the external power supply
- Lowers investment costs through a single reduction and smelting process unit for the production of hot metal directly from an iron source
- Reduces operating costs through low-cost raw materials
Outotec AusIron technology offers high flexibility in iron feedstocks (iron contents ranging from 52 to 67% have been successfully tested) with particle sizes ranging from 25 µm to lump materials. Extensive beneficiation or agglomeration steps are not required. Appropriate coals range from low-volatile to high-volatile bituminous coals. There is no need for coke or high-grade metallurgical coal. These features make it an ideal process for countries with alternative iron sources and coal deposits.