The 5-inch display has 1280 x 720 pixel resolution. That's 294 ppi (pixel per inch), almost Retina territory and plenty crisp and sharp. The display is bright too - 400 nits - and sunlight-readable. There's, of course, capacitive multi-touch, but the device also has physical Android buttons (back, home, multi-task, function), always a good thing in an industrial PDA.
As far as the basic hardware goes, Winmate went with a 1.3GHz octa-core ARM Cortex A53 processor, 1GB of SDRAM and 8GB of eMMC that can be complemented via micro-SD Card memory. The rechargeable 14.4 watt-hour Li-Ion battery, good for up to 20 hours, is user-accessible and replaceable, something we also like to see in a professional computing device.
As we'd expect from Winmate, the E500RM8 is a remarkably rugged device (and looks it, too). It can handle 4-foot drops to concrete without additional protection, it can handle a wide operating temperature range of -4 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit, and sealing is at the IP65 level, which means the device is completely impervious to dust and can handle water jets from all directions.
• 5” 1280 x 720 Panel with Projected Capacitive Multi-touch
• Built-in Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth 4.0/ GPS / LTE
• Built-in 2 MP camera at front side and 8 MP camera with LED at the rear side
• Supports NFC Function
• Water and dust proof IP65 design
• Compliant with MIL-STD-810G for High/Low temperature, Vibration, Drop test
• Supports Android 7.0 operating system
• 3900 mAh full-day battery with removable design
• Optional Smart Card, and Fingerprint Reader