SIEMENS Building Technologies
Who we are
The future is smart
Welcome to Building Technologies
Energy efficiency, safety and security in buildings
The Building Technologies Division of Siemens (Zug, Switzerland) is the world leader in the market for safe and secure, energy-efficient and environment-friendly buildings and infrastructures. As trusted technology partner, consultant, service provider, system integrator and product vendor, Building Technologies has offerings for fire safety and security as well as building automation, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) and energy management.
The History of Siemens Building Technologies
Siemens Building Technologies is an Operating Division of Siemens AG and was founded on October 1, 1998, through the acquisition of the industrial activities of Electrowatt Ltd. (Zurich, Switzerland), thus integrating and combining several decades of experience in building automation and fire safety. Electrowatt’s history dates back to its foundation in 1895 with a focus on power generation and distribution and respective engineering services. Its industrial arm was built in the second half of the 20th century by the acquisition of Cerberus Ltd. (Männedorf, Switzerland), a world leader in fire safety founded in 1940, and of Staefa Control System Ltd. (Stäfa, Switzerland), a leading European player in building automation, founded in 1962. In 1996, Electrowatt acquired Landis & Gyr Ltd. (Zug, Switzerland), founded in 1896, and merged this company’s building automation activities with Staefa Control System under the new name of Landis & Staefa.
Today, the Siemens Building Technologies Division consists of the Business Unit Control Products and Systems (CPS) and the Division Function Solution and Service Portfolio (SSP)
With the Business Unit CPS and the Division Function SSP the Siemens Building Technologies Division combines offerings for building security, life safety, building automation within one company as a service and system provider, and as a manufacturer of respective products. By virtue of the unique combination of these business sectors, the company occupies a leading position worldwide.
Megatrends change the world and affect our lives
• Strong increase of the global population to 9 billion people in 2050 (2010: 7 billion)
• Aging of societies: the +65 generation will nearly triple worldwide by 2050
• Increase of the urban population by 20% from 2010 to 70% in 2050
• Numerous megacities will develop, especially in emerging nations
• Climatic change is a fact and a threat to humans and nature
• The consequential costs of ignoring this fact are considerably
higher than the costs for necessary action
• Increasing interdependence of economics, politics, culture and other areas of life
• Strong growth of BRIC countries: by 2040, China will have overtaken the US relating economic strength
Facts raising questions
• The majority of the global population lives in cities
• Cities consume 75% of energy
• CO2 emissions are increasing
• Increasing demand of public security
• Increasing demand of protection in critical infrastructures (life science)
• More and larger events lead to a higher population density
Building Technologies has the answer
We have the technology and the knowledge needed in buildings and public infrastructures
• to reduce both energy consumption and CO2 emissions,
• to sustainably protect people and assets,
• to increase comfort, efficiency, availability, safety and security,
• to create the best possible work and life conditions.